WEST OF ENGLAND COLLIE SOCIETY OPEN SHOW APRIL 11TH 2009
I would like
to thank the WECS committee for inviting me to judge this prestigious show, and
my two stewards who enabled me to finish the large entry in good time. Also
thank you to the exhibitors who put faith in me and accepted my decisions in
good spirit. I was looking for dogs displaying absolute soundness, fit for the
original function of shepherding. Dogs built
along elegant, active lines with that look of dignity and balance essential to
a good Collie. I felt my line up in both sexes exemplified these qualities.
Best in Show on the referee's decision went to the lovely Sable Smooth Collie with my Best of Breed Rough taking Reserve Best in Show..
above photo: BEST OF BREED and RESERVE BEST IN SHOW..CORYDON ONCE IN A BLUE MOON
with his son
BEST PUPPY IN SHOW WINNER...MEJOLA MY BLUE HARLEQUIN.
photo below is best puppy bitch ATENDUS QUICK STEP TO ANTOC
1) Davies, HOWRINA HARRY POTTER. An old favourite of mine who oozes breed type, his dark shaded sable jacket gleaming and he stands away from his handler smiling and showing his socks off. His head is so beautifully chiselled and filled in beneath the eyes creating the most glorious wedge, fabulous eye and expression and such a happy boy too. Grand arch and length of neck, correct angulations, top line and tail set. Unfortunately at nine years he was limping slightly in front and this cost him in the run up for best veteran, even so he is still a wonderful representative of our Breed and new exhibitors can learn so much by a study of this boy's stunning head properties.
2) Hull's, MEQUEEBA BLUE LANCE OF LIZMARK
3) Rendall's, KATHERENA MISTER LOVER MAN
MINOR PUPPY (1)
1) Muir's SHANDLMAIN ECLIPSE Tricolour baby of 6 months and standing alone in the class, however I felt he had much to commend him. Super breed type, his overall make and shape were just what I would hope for in a youngster. Lovely long neck set into good shoulders, correct length of leg, good round bone, strong body and joints, long tail, he moved with elegance and coordination. I really loved his head and eye, slightly marred by the age related problem of one ear flying. I feel he has the makings of a very handsome adult.
1) White's MEJOLA MY BLUE HARLEQUIN (BPD. BPIB. BPIS) Wow, blue merle of 10 months and every inch the male! Super head with an excellent finish to his muzzle and chin, correct stop, ultra flat skull and so clean through the cheeks giving a true wedge. Gorgeous eye and expression. Eye catching body shape he has the desired combination of strength and elegance, good neck and withers, grand bone. Coat is of good colour and texture and he moved powerfully and effortlessly around the ring. His happy disposition is a joy to see. A very handsome and promising puppy and son of my BOB winner, my co judge and i had no hesitation in awarding him BPIS.
2) Francis ROSSAVON SINGING THE BLUES AT RHYSLIN
3) Bradshaw's SALGARDEN TIME ON MY SIDE AT TYFIELD
1) Abbot's COTSWOLDWAY MOONSHINE Another very elegant youngster. This boy along with my previous class winner and several other youngsters gave me a feeling of great contentment for the Breeds future. Beautifully balanced throughout with the correct length of leg and body and a good neck set into well laid shoulders. Strongly boned legs and neat feet, he moved with drive and extension retaining his lovely top line. One piece head is a true wedge, so clean and beautifully moulded with strong under jaw and clean lip line, his correctly set dark eyes gave him a sweet, happy and intelligent expression. I really loved this dog and feel with maturity he will trouble the best.
2) MEJOLA MY BLUE HARLEQUIN
3) Rae's ANTOC KISS THE GIRLS
SPECIAL YEARLING (7.1a)
1) Howards CORYDON LOOK AT ME FROM SHANDLMAIN (RBD) What a super young man this is, Sable with an overall finish that smacks of quality and just awaiting the final polish of maturity. Not a big boy but so beautifully balanced, he has such strength of body and just the right amount of round bone. On the move he is an absolute joy and in complete control showing strength and flexibility and carrying himself proudly. I loved his head; it has the length and elegance I am looking. Ultra clean through the cheeks and side skull and so well filled beneath the eye, correct stop and ultra flat back skull. Beautifully finished in profile by that perfectly formed under jaw. Presented a wonderful picture of a true collie both standing and moving which secured him reserve best dog in a fabulous line up, well done.
2) Blake's DEMELEWIS WINTER MOON AT CORYDON
3) SALGARDEN TIME ON MY SIDE AT TYFIELD
1) DEMELEWIS WINTER MOON AT CORYDON. I was bowled over by yet another elegant young male, this time a tricolour, who pushed my previous class winner hard, not quite his absolute refinement in side skull but even so what a lovely collie! Completely fills the eye with his overall presence and dignity and another beautifully balanced in body and with the correct length of leg. Superb finish to the head in profile with that super chin I find so essential, well chiselled beneath the eyes and a wonderful expression, ears bang on top. He moved with drive, extension and purpose keeping his level top line. His strength, flexibility and exceptional style on the move won him first place over the lovely puppy.
2) MEJOLA MY BLUE HARLEQUIN
3) SALGARDEN TIME ON MY SIDE AT TYFIELD
1) DEMELEWIS WINTER MOON AT CORYDON
2) Wilson's VALLYHAVEN CRUSADER
3) Hale's MARKENFIELDS DREAM WIZZARD
POST GRADUATE (5.1a)
1) Colinho's EILROY WITCHDOCTOR AT IMAGINIST This inky black tricolour boy has a wonderful head and eye, so beautifully moulded from every angle, clean through the cheeks and skull with the right amount of stop and again that all important finish to the under jaw. Fabulously dark expressive eyes give him the most glorious expression. I would prefer him a tad slimmer to enhance his overall body shape and just wish he would use his neck to greater advantage, but he moves very well with lovely extension and his straight harsh coat glistened in the sunshine presenting a nice picture.
2) Baker's LADNAR DOCTOR KISS KISS AT ALBAKIN
3) Willcock's ATENDUS I'LL STAND BY YOU
1) Smedley's ANTOC ICE N FIRE. Beautifully coloured blue dog of very elegant proportions, in profile he is very much my style of collie with a superb long arched neck and well finished hind angulations presenting an eye catching body shape. Moving around the ring he looks very stylish with his long feathers and fitted body coat, would just prefer a tad more substance. Lovely eye and expression, head of good length and clean through the cheeks. Well handled.
2) Patterson and Newton's DARAHILL TOMMY GUN
3) Harvey's LADNAR MR BOJANGLES FROM BROOKLYNSON
1) Blake's CORYDON ONCE IN A BLUE MOON. (BOB RBIS BOSIS) Blue merle that was destined to be my star of the day. As I watched him command the ring with his superb outline, balance and movement I imagined him silhouetted against a backdrop of moorland, satisfied he could be mistaken for no other breed, he just screams Rough Collie. I love his overall balance and flowing body lines, from his long arched neck set into excellent shoulders to his strong hocks and excellent feet. On the move he is a powerhouse, looking every inch the working dog able to turn instantly and leap a brook without effort; he floated around the ring with a power, flexibility and turn of foot that gave him the extra mile. To top everything he has a clean head of correct length and is another with that ideal profile and finish of chin and lip line, ears placed well on top of his head and an expression full of sweetness whilst retaining that all important air of dignity that permeated his very being. Today he could not be beaten in the breed and his overall balance coupled with that elusive quality of expression elevated him to top spot over a very beautiful bitch. My BOB and on the referees decision he went RBIS.
2) Avery's LYNVIEWS LUCAS
3) Rae's ANTOC DARK MOON RISING JW
1) Colinho's EILROY MOON FLOWER (BVIS) This lovely blue bitch caught my eye immediately with her shape, colour, overall balance and stylish movement. Belies her age, she has strength and substance without losing out on elegance and femininity. Pretty head shows no trace of coarseness, lovely eye and well used ears giving her a captivating expression. Alert and on her toes throughout, her length of stride and tireless movement took her through to BVIS in agreement with my co judge.
2) Avery's LYNSVIEWS GOLDEN TREACLE
3) Conway's NUTSLADE PARIS HAT
MINOR PUPPY (5.1a)
1) Smedley and Unstead's ATENDUS QUICK STEP TO ANTOC (BEST PUPPY BITCH) what a stunning baby, scintillating colour and such elegance of construction. Sporting the most wonderfully long arched neck and the best of legs and feet. I appreciated her length of head with lovely muzzle and well defined chin. Such a cheeky intelligent expression and so attentive to her handler. The icing on the cake was her coordination and togetherness on the move, I was enchanted! BPB.
2) White and Granger's SAMHAVEN LOLA AVEC MORVANIA
3) Jame's DEANJAN DAWN MEMORIES
1) Blake's MEJOLA MY BLUE HEAVEN FOR CORYDON litter sister to my puppy dog winner and it shows. Another blue with bags of ring presence and charm, super outline, I liked her combination of substance and femininity. Bright as a button and very attentive to handler, her head handles very well and another boasting that beautiful profile. Dark expressive eyes giving her an appealing expression. Very sound on the move. I just preferred the absolute clarity of colour and extra neck on my minor puppy winner, but two superb young bitches.
2) Llewellyn's SALSINA SERENADE
3) Tame's RAHLISSA RAINBOWS
1) Mellish's DEMELEWIS MOONCATCHER. This young lady completely fills the eye with her presence, so beautifully balanced and in proportion. Tricolour (my favourite colour) she creates a picture of total harmony and elegance both standing and on the move, she is so light of foot she dances on air! I loved her overall head type, a true clean well blunted wedge from every angle, ears bang on top and glorious eye and expression. It is no secret I love her dam, and I feel that given a little more time and this lovely young lady will be even better. In my final line up she presented a beautiful picture of femininity and shapeliness and pushed my eventual winners very hard for that top spot.
2) MEJOLA MY BLUE HEAVEN FOR CORYDON
3) Price's BRODCOL GOSH I'M GORGEOUS
SPECIAL YEARLING (7.2a)
1) Hull's LIZMARK STARTIME. This elegant sable had left her wardrobe at home but has nothing to hide; I absolutely loved her head, so true to our breed. Totally moulded, well filled beneath the eyes, everything in harmony with nothing protruding or bumpy, just a clean harmonious gradually tapering wedge being smooth in outline and with that all important finish to the chin and lip line creating the perfect profile. Gorgeous eye and expression. Not only does she possess a lovely head and eye, but she has an elegance of construction to match and floated around the ring, I would love to meet her again in full coat.
2) Baker's MAGENTA SUMMER CHARM
3) Smith's DANFEBEK NEENA LA DIVA AVEC SHARLA
1) LIZMARK STARTIME
2) MEJOLA MY BLUE HEAVEN FOR CORYDON
3) Harvey's JOTARS CLASSICAL LADY
1) Blake's CORYDON FOLLOW ME (RBB) Wow, what a glorious young lady she is and one I truly wish would follow me home! Brimming with style and elegance and everything in proportion, I loved her bone and overall look of strength and agility and yet she retains a look of absolute femininity. The more I looked the more she charmed me, every detail is exquisite. When I later discovered she is the sister of my RBD I was delighted, she is very similar in every way. Ideal head in profile and a clean wedge from every angle showing no flare or depth, beautifully placed and shaped eye giving the most wonderfully sweet yet intelligent expression. Superb on the move, light fluid and flexible showing a lovely stride and no trace of weakness. Not quite in full bloom which cost her top spot today.
2) Smedley's FRANCHESKA FROM ANTOC
3) Patman's SAMHAVEN CANDLELIGHT FLIRT
POST GRADUATE (12. 3a)
1) Abbot's COTSWOLDSWAY DIAMOND LIL (BB. RBOB. BOSIB) when this bitch entered the ring I was instantly transported back through time to the golden age of the Collie and the Rokeby bitches of Mrs Betty Eglin. I couldn't take my eyes from her, standing with impassive dignity in her burnished gold regalia. Not a petite girl she has a length of body seldom seen today, her elegantly flowing lines creating a picture of supreme harmony and beauty. I loved her wonderful hind angulations and strong short parallel hocks, balanced by her lovely long arched neck. Clean well filled head of good length and balanced proportions, dark eyes giving a soft, dignified and intelligent expression. Moved with excellent length of stride and power. In the BOB challenge I had two outstanding examples of our lovely breed, both fit for original purpose being absolutely sound in limb, both oozing true breed type. My final choice went to the Dog whose glorious eye shape and placement gave him that touch extra in quality of sweetness and dignity of expression.
2) Patterson and Newton's DARAHIL STRING OF PEARLS
3) Gammon's YAYGANES VILLAGE MAID
LIMIT (6. 2a)
1) Llewellyn's ROANBURN COPPER BLUSH AT SALSINA. Ultra feminine and shapely young lady who pulls out all the stops lifting and arching her lovely neck to great advantage. Pretty head and expression, ears on top. Balanced proportions and angulations giving a lovely outline. Moved soundly and presented in lovely coat and condition. Would like a tad more bone to complete the overall picture.
2) Avery's AARONWELL ANNEMARIE AT LYNVIEWS
3) Patman and Granger's SAMHAVEN DREAM COME TRUE
1) Price's VONARKLE GOSH I'M POSH AT BRODCOL. Two bitches of very different type and my winner had left her coat at home, however this only served to show off her elegant construction, balance and overall strength of limb. I liked her general head type with correct eye and expression. Moved out very well, look forward to seeing her in full glamour.
2) Jame's DEANJAN SILVER STAR